Friday, May 9, 2008

The Wonderful/Rainy City of Dar es Salaam



Here are some pics to show you the contrast in Dar es Salaam. Very poor, Very nice, Tropical, Resort Type anything you can think of. I even visited an American style strip mall and mall catering to the middle and upper class Tanzanians and Expats!!!!

Generally it is a nice place. People are SUPER friendly, and say HELLO or JAMBO to me everywhere I go. Again, I stick out like a sore thumb, Ive never been such the minority somewhere. I've got immense help from Mr. Maggid Mjengwa in my studies here, and without his local Tanzanian support, I could never have gone as far.

My research is coming to a close, or is done from my Tanzanian visit, but there is much more to do once I get back to Sweden. I'm sad to leave here, but happy to get back where I dont have to worry so much about food and water. Im CRAVING fresh vegetables!!!!! and ...ICE!!!!!

Ive been doing great, but last week I had a smoothie from a very very Mjungo (white person) place. Turns out, they used local water for the ice....I had the runs for 2 days straight! Otherwise, I have been good but not 100% because of the Malaria pills which make you have headaches, diarhea and nausea. Its better than getting Malaria!

Now the Pics!


This is the view from my hotel room
Just a view along the road over the fishing area


The SLIPWAY

TUK TUKs, Little Taxis...oh and yes this is one of the major highways in Dar es Salaam


It never stopped raining today, CHAOS!

HERES A VIDEO OF IT!



Heres a video of one of MANY bumpy roads
(REALLY BAD BUMPY ROADS, but at least they have them...again part of the Charm!)

No comments: